My Computer Forum Computer Science Forum

Go Back   My Computer Forum > Web Development Forum > Web Development

Web Development Developing websites, web platforms, and web programming scripts and languages


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
July 19th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 187
Regarding phpBB

How much does it cost to set up an forum using phpBB, using best possible version available?

P.S. Web Development is a great section idea! I am the first poster in the section! Yay!
johnny is offline  
 

My Computer Forum is free to register and we welcome everyone!

July 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Founder
 
julien's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 414
Re: Regarding phpBB

Hey Johnny,

It really depends on the size of your website and therefore the server you need; basically, it can go from around 100$/year if the forum is just born to 2000$/year if the forum is reasonably active, and way more if you need high-end servers because your website consumes a lot of CPU (because it contains a lot of CPU-greedy PHP scripts) or receives huge traffic. Hopes this answers your question
julien is offline  
July 21st, 2009, 03:25 PM   #3
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 187
Re: Regarding phpBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by julien
Hey Johnny,

It really depends on the size of your website and therefore the server you need; basically, it can go from around 100$/year if the forum is just born to 2000$/year if the forum is reasonably active, and way more if you need high-end servers because your website consumes a lot of CPU (because it contains a lot of CPU-greedy PHP scripts) or receives huge traffic. Hopes this answers your question
Oh damn, I didn't know server for setting up a forum was that expensive.

Another question - if I want as many people on my forum as possible (and also efficient search engines on my forum, such as Google bot etc), then which one would you suggest me - phpBB or vBulletin?
johnny is offline  
July 21st, 2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Site Founder
 
julien's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 414
Re: Regarding phpBB

I don't think any of them is better in order to achieve web traffic maximization; however, VBulletin is more scalable and professional (much more customizable than phpBB). However, VBulettin is not a freeware and the licence is quite expensive indeed ...
julien is offline  
July 21st, 2009, 11:15 PM   #5
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 187
Re: Regarding phpBB

Thanks for the reply!

So, you think vBulletin will cost around $8000, including the use of server and all other required stuff?
johnny is offline  
July 22nd, 2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Site Founder
 
julien's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 414
Re: Regarding phpBB

No no, a VBulletin license wouldn't be that expensive ... you can have a look at their prices on their website (it also depends on which kind of license you are purchasing).
julien is offline  
July 22nd, 2009, 03:57 PM   #7
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 187
Re: Regarding phpBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by julien
No no, a VBulletin license wouldn't be that expensive ... you can have a look at their prices on their website (it also depends on which kind of license you are purchasing).
I've looked at vBulletin license section, and owned license is like $180.00 each. So, if I make a forum, will it cost about $200, including having good bots in it?
johnny is offline  
July 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Site Founder
 
julien's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 414
Re: Regarding phpBB

No, 180$ is just for the vbulletin license, otherwise that'd be too nice

License 180$
Server costs: 10$/month at the beginning (100$-150$/month when a decent amount of traffic is received and a dedicated server is needed)
That's about 300$/year at the beginning and between 1000-2000$/year when your forum gets decently trafficked ... (but in that case probably you can figure out ways to monetize your traffic anyway)
julien is offline  
July 24th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #9
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 187
Re: Regarding phpBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by julien
No, 180$ is just for the vbulletin license, otherwise that'd be too nice

License 180$
Server costs: 10$/month at the beginning (100$-150$/month when a decent amount of traffic is received and a dedicated server is needed)
That's about 300$/year at the beginning and between 1000-2000$/year when your forum gets decently trafficked ... (but in that case probably you can figure out ways to monetize your traffic anyway)
Oh okay. I will give it a shot in the future
johnny is offline  
November 27th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #10
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
Re: Regarding phpBB

PHPBB is a free forum script..

The hosting depends on your requirements..

If you are just starting a new community you can try to host with the shared host and once the community is expanded go for a more powerful dedicated server which costs about $100 per month.
iInspire is offline  
November 27th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #11
Site Founder
 
julien's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 414
Re: Regarding phpBB

Regarding dedicated servers ... would you happen to know a good book which would explain the basics of server management (for Linux servers, of course). I'll soon need to switch a forum to a dedicated server and I find it shameful to have to rely on cPanel to do everything; besides; when handling large databases, I've heard that using the command line is unavoidable.
julien is offline  
Reply

  My Computer Forum > Web Development Forum > Web Development

Tags
phpbb



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which is best? phpbb vs mybb vs vbulletin? johnsmith12 Web Development 0 July 6th, 2012 06:30 AM





Copyright © 2018 My Computer Forum Forum. All rights reserved.