Convert OpenOffice files to Excel files

Dec 2007
Hello everybody,

Could anyone please tell me if there is any reliable way to convert an openoffice file (.odt) into an Excel file (.xlsx) without any loss of data ? I've already tried to save my OpenOffice files as Excel files (it's proposed by OpenOffice) but I lose information (mostly spreadsheet formatting) every time ...
Any idea ?

Sep 2011
julien said:
Hello everybody,

Could anyone please tell me if there is any reliable way to convert an openoffice file (.odt) into an Excel file (.xlsx) without any loss of data ? I've already tried to save my OpenOffice files as Excel files (it's proposed by OpenOffice) but I lose information (mostly spreadsheet formatting) every time ...
Any idea ?

I thought it was simple a matter of saving it. However, if it doesn't work well perhaps try writing a script to convert it. Not sure if it would be best to run the script in openoffice, power shell or excel. My preference would be powershell but working externally won't give as many features to aid coding.

Dec 2007
Well, I guess the most difficult would not be to learn the powershell but rather to understand the structure of Excel files and write the mapping OpenOffice documents -> Excel files :)