Home hub useless on UBUNTU 10

Jun 2011
I installed Home Hub 10.10 on my computer (Compaq) as start-up alternative to Windows XP
It worked perfectly but would not talk to Home hub
I and 5 experts spent 4 WEEKS trying to get it to talk to this BT thing and gave up
We THINK Home hub ASKS "are you microsoft" and unless you know how to pretend you are it ignores you.
We got the usual help from BT - two words "It does"

Now 3 months later I had an idea
Load Ubuntu latest version - as PERHAPS there was a download fault ONLY in the part of Umbuntu that talks to home Hub.
Or maybe the law has caught up with BT's illegal trade restrictions.

But Ubuntu 10.10 NOW demands a password - so I spent a day trying to get a new one!

Now I want to download the latest Ubuntu but NOT add 60 MB or whatever to the Ubuntu 10 stuff.
Will the new Ubuntu BLEND with the old?
How do I delete the old to start the new on a fresh field of play?

WHICH of the many downloads is the one I need! There are several very confusingly partially-described!

Many thanks

Dec 2007
What is Home Hub supposed to achieve ?
I found out that there are still many compatibility issues when it comes to installing Linux on a machine (being dual boot or not). Even though I managed to get Ubuntu working fine on my work station (running Windows 7 simultaneously) support for Linux still seems more limited (and confusing).

Jun 2011
julien said:
What is Home Hub supposed to achieve ?
I found out that there are still many compatibility issues when it comes to installing Linux on a machine (being dual boot or not). Even though I managed to get Ubuntu working fine on my work station (running Windows 7 simultaneously) support for Linux still seems more limited (and confusing).
Home Hub is BT's name for the hardware that connects you to the web.
Mine works fine on XP
My Ubuntu 10 works fine on everything EXCEPT talking to the web.
Ethernet cable
Dual boot
My "experts", all 5 say, there is a restrictive trade illegal agreement between BT and M$ that ONLY hardware pretending to be M$ is PERMITTED to use the Home Hub
BT, in their usual fashion, say "It works with Ubuntu"